CBHM Half Marathon -10 WEEKS TO RACE DAY!
This week’s training Tip-Injury Prevention: Basic Strength and Flexibility For Runners
Training Tip #4
Our friends over at Be Fit PT recently hosted an online and in-person seminar on “Running Injury Free: How to Beat the Odds”
A number of you may have attended but for those who did not here’s a summary:
● Avoid over-training and listen to your body.
● Increase mileage 10% or less per week.
● Alignment, foot-strike pattern, and especially cadence can be instrumental in shifting load away from knees and hips, to be shared by the ankle and calves.
● Strength training provides benefits for running performance and for injury prevention.
● Focus strength on glutes, core, calves.
One exercise example Lateral hip strength: Side Plank
** Lie on side, supported on forearm and outside of foot/ankle. Don’t let hips/body roll forward or back. Then lift top leg off of bottom foot and hold. Do not let hips sag – keep body in a straight line.
** Goal: 15 seconds for basic running, 30+ seconds for distance runners, without hip flexion or sag.
Easier: Keep feet together, or bottom knee down. Work on lifting up and down from the floor (not holding). Standing band exercise alternatives.
Harder: Longer holds; raise top arm up, or add forward/back reach/trunk rotation with top arm.
More info and to print the handout visit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9YIjdmx8lDhH7YgKdSexYR1L3lgWBqx/view?usp=sharing
For our local runners you can check out their facilities at either of their offices in Hanover, NH and White River Junction, VT.
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org You can also follow them on Facebook.
45 Lyme Road, Suite 101
Hanover, NH 03755
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION VT
100 Arboretum Lane
White River Junction, VT 05001
tel: 802 359-7400
YOGA FOR CBHM RUNNERS
CBHM and Within Reach Yoga are offering an 8 week yoga series designed with runners in mind.
Wednesdays, online, 5:30-6:30 pm ET,
April 7- May 26, 2021 – recordings available. No prior yoga experience required!
Class size is LIMITED TO 20 and is filling up FAST!
visit: http://withinreachyoga.com/lets-connect.html#runners for details. Payment in full ($80) due by 4/6/21
An 8-week series designed for CBHM runners, this series will help runners to:
• relieve soreness while training,
• prevent injuries by noticing imbalances,
• strengthening opposing muscles groups, improving your range of motion, and increasing flexibility,
• use your breath to increase oxygen capacity, release held stress hormones that build up while running long runs and ultimately improve heart health,
• get better sleep to improve rest and recovery, develop mental sharpness and visualization to help you dig deep when needed.
PLUS, you’ll carry this knowledge with you long after the series has ended, giving you a self-care toolbox that can help you keep active and reach your future running goals!
You are investing in series of 8 (hour-long) weekly live-online yoga classes (1 per week).
**Link will be sent after registration.**
Recordings can be sent if you can not make a class.
Photo Contest #1
Ends tomorrow, March 29 at 7AM ET
“Show Us Your Favorite Training T-shirt”
It’s not too late to post your photo with #cbhm2021.
The winner will be announced on Tuesday March 30.
The winner will receive a $50 Gift Certificate to Elevation Clothing and an awesome Skida headband.
15 Central Street, Woodstock, Vermont. 802.332.6380
Keep training, stay safe, post your photos !
Until next time…
If you missed one of our Training Tips, please visit our RACE NEWS page. Or follow us on FACEBOOK.